Saturday, July 7, 2007

Calgary Stampede Parade

We did a "Park and Ride" from Dalhousie Station and rode the "C" Train into Calgary centre for the Calgary Stampede Parade. This is the event that kicks off the 10 day Calgary Stampede. The Canadian Military Snowbirds did a fly over just prior to the start of the parade. The parade marshals were four young men that skateboarded across Canada for five months, 8000 kilometres to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. "Tough enough to wear pink" is in support of the Calgary Stampede's support of this cause. The parade consisted of 150 entries, including rodeo cowboys, marching bands, colorful floats, Indians in traditional native dress, and close to 800 horses. Entries that peaked our interest were the sheep herding dogs who guided the sheep down the parade route of 4.5 kilometres, only one tractor entry, very few fire trucks, but many, many horses which required street cleanup throughout the parade event.

































































2 comments:

fredatwork said...

Hey there ... Lynn and I just got back last night. Had a great time. Looks like you guys are having the same!! The whether looks like it has been outstanding. I am real happy for you. It is beautiful country, isn't it. Lynn and I will get on the site tonight at home.

Love from Iowa ... Fred

fredatwork said...

Yes, I know the difference between whether and weather .... still on east coast time I guess :-)