Friday, October 19, 2007

Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway

The Blue Ridge Parkway connects Shenandoah National Park in Virginia and Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina and Tennessee. The 469 mile scenic road follows the crest of the Blue Ridge and other ranges. The parkway offers panoramas of the Southern Highlands to include the Humpback Rocks, Otter Creek, Roanoke Mountain and many others. Ranger programs at various points along the parkway provide insights into the everyday life and culture of mountain residents. Concrete mileposts help keep track of mileage along the road. The speed limit is 45 mph with an average speed of 30 mph so you can enjoy the many overlooks along the parkway.



































1 comment:

FredLynn said...

Good morning from beautiful NE Iowa! It is 7:00 a.m. and very fall like this morning with the skies being overcast and the breezes cool. I write this a.m. with nothing today but R and R for a change and this was a great way to start my day!

I have just viewed the pics and notes from Bar Harbor to the Blue Ridge Parkway. What a beautiful and diverse stretch of country it is! It looks and sounds as if you are taking full advantage of all of the unique topography, climate and people. Thanks for continuing to share ... I feel like I have been there with you the entire trip ...

Continued safe travels ... Fred